Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pyramids

We hired a taxi to take us around to the many pyramids in Giza and beyond. Driving to the pyramids might be the most impressive sight with the tips popping up over the skyline of Cairo. We made an unexpected stop at a papyrus store where we were coerced into spending lots of money on (I'm sure) overpriced paintings.

The pyramids were impressive yet somewhat disappointing. While their scale was spectacular, the atmosphere left a little to be desired. As one might expect, the revolution had adverse effects for the tourism industry here and trinket sellers and camel drivers are in dire need of some customers. Not to mention that summer is low season anyway. So every five steps we were hassled with someone try to sell us something. The dirt paths are not well marked though it is pretty obvious where the next pyramid is and there are no signs anywhere to indicate what you should be looking for in certain places.

The sphinx however was my favorite. Though it is being restored right now it is still a pretty incredible sculpture. And of course an independent guide there made us take the ridiculous photos with it.

We then headed past Saqqara, the oldest pyramid found yet, for a photo op and onto Dahshur, the red and black pyramids. The "black" pyramid looked as though someone rounded off the sides of it and we were able to go 140 m into the "red" pyramid but I have to admit I didn't really see the colors our guide spoke of. Matt thought it was about the coolest thing ever to be in a pyramid by ourselves (there was nobody else around!) but my claustrophobia caught up with me, causing me to nearly faint and I had to get out of there as fast as possible.

It was a long, hot day which required a nice long nap in the cab while our driver navigated the constant Cairo traffic. The great pyramids of Giza can now be checked off the list!

Sorry again about pictures. I am having trouble loading them onto my computer...soon though, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment